Tuesday, February 23, 2021

New 5e Book is Ravenloft

 Ravenloft it is!.  Expanding outside of Bavoria, the new book for 5e seems to be more or less a campaign setting for Domains of Dread.  This is pretty exciting, because 5e has been slightly lackluster in producing classic settings.  The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide was somewhat disappointing to me as far as a sourcebook goes, and much of the Realms has been... Forgotten?  I couldn't resist, so excuse that.  

As I said in a previous post, I didn't really see Ravenloft coming, not as an expanded campaign setting, but this is exciting, because I feel like Wizards is really focusing on the multiverse aspect of the game, and traveling to other planes of existence.  What I really mean by that, is that Ravenloft can easily be thrown into any existing setting, or be one all on it's own.  Plus, it is a great way to really expand the cosmology of the game into something larger, like Sigil or the Outlands, and not overwhelm people new to the game through 5e.  

Things I want to see are solidified and tangible use of negative planes, the Shadowfell, and of course corruption to characters.  5e has been good at using what I call "swappable parts" for older editions, but also putting things from a setting like Eberron into the Forgotten Realms (Living Spells is a great example).  I have always sort of looked at the game like this, but 5e plainly does a really good job with it.  Also, this really adds to the accessibility of 5e.  I feel like in the 90s until the end of the 3.X era of the game, things that happened in fiction based in the game, and just lore in general really impeded the game.  The Forgotten Realms in particular suffered from this in my opinion, because so much detail of the world became almost crippling--at least in my opinion--the the creativity of the DM.  The ease of just slapping something into a 5e game has really helped with that.  Of course, that is something I want to expand on overtime with this blog, but in a nutshell, Ravenloft as the new book really expands the way I want to play the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Update!

 I have been busy as shit with work, running two games, and playing in a game.  Oh, I have also been working on some content.  Last post I m...