Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Zine Quest Review: The House of the Hollow


 Okay, so I am a fan of third party publishing, and Zine Quest is right up my alley.  I want to use this as a space to review some of the things I picked up this year, in no particular order, and first up is The House of the Hollow by Dylan Mangini.  This is an adventure for Mörk Borg, which I should add is hands down one of my favorite systems.

I want to start of by saying that this is a very well done, straight forward adventure. I do want to disclose that I have not used it for the intended system yet, but I did adapt it for a 5e session, and it worked wonderfully.  You could realistically adapt this easily for basically any system, which is a huge plus.  I also want to say that while I haven't had a chance to run this in Mörk Borg, I really like the overall feel of it for the system, and I feel like this would be a great place to start with that system for someone interested in it, but a little hesitant because they want a good place to start.  


The adventure is so straight forward, I don't want to expand on it too much here, because of spoilers.  I will
 say at times it reminded me of a better version of the 5e Death House from Curse of Strahd. There are also plenty of tables, which is something I love, and something that I love about Mörk Borg as a system.  The adventure hooks are also well done, and open, but not generic.  I will say that this was very easy to just throw into a game and have it feel completely organic.  I used this in an Eberron game, and it didn't miss a beat, and to be honest, all I did was reskin some names, and I had to do little prep at all outside of reading through the adventure.

The use of artwork is decent, for what it is, because I have seen things in the past that came off as way too "clip-arty".  I did not get that feel here, and the look of the book works well for the system, and feels like a finished product, which I will admit is significantly harder to pull off than it looks.  The print quality, especially for the two pamphlet size inserts is good too.  

Overall, this was a good pick up.  I am not familiar with Dylan Mangini, or what he has done in the past, but this is something I would strongly recommend.  I couldn't really find a downside to this at all, the length is perfect, the adventure is clear and not generic, and it is highly adaptable to other systems.  The PDF is also only four dollars, but I would definitely go for the book for ten (since I already did).


Here is a link for the product, if you are interested:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/348976/The-House-of-the-Hollow-compatible-with-MORK-BORG


No comments:

Post a Comment

Update!

 I have been busy as shit with work, running two games, and playing in a game.  Oh, I have also been working on some content.  Last post I m...